January 28, 2008

We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet!



President Hinckley saying "goodbye" to his wife. How happy that they can now say "hello".

Most of you who read our blog share with us our feelings of deep love and emotion as we morn the loss of our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. Though we morn because we will miss him so much, we rejoice in his life, his service, and now his reunion with his dear wife. Regardless of ones religious beliefs there can be no question of his service and impact on the world. Thanks to the modern luxuries that we enjoy we have come to know him. We believe him when he has told us how much he loves us.

Mostly for the sake of keeping records I just wanted to tell of an experience that I had with President Hinckley while I was in the MTC (Missionary Training Center) at the beginning of my mission. My brother Jeff and I entered the MTC on the same day. During the first part of our time there my little brother really struggled. It is a huge commitment for a 19 year old boy only 3 months out of high school to make. A few days into our training Jeff and I were both attending a "Large Group Meeting" where we watched a clip of President Hinckley telling of the struggles he had as a missionary and of the words his father wrote to him to "forget himself". It was a story I had heard many times before but this time was different. I have never met President Hinckley but at that moment it was as if he were right there speaking only to me as a parent would. I noticed my brother sitting just a few rows in front of me and without seeing his face I could tell that he was overwhelmed with the spirit. His head was trembling and because I knew what a struggle he was experiencing at this point of his life I was heart wrenched. We have a very close relationship and it is hard to ever see him struggle, he is my little brother. Finally Jeff turned around looking for me. His eyes were drenched, and so were mine. I'll never forget the look on his face. Even though he was crying he looked determined and prepared. He looked like a missionary. He seemed to have grown up right then and there. Through President Hinckley the spirit had given Jeff and I an experience that, at least for me, has stayed with me and strengthened me in so many difficult times. My love for President Hinckley really began at that moment and since then it has grown continually. I will miss him!

To read more about President Hinckley's life click here. To get information about the LDS church click here.

No comments: