Nice title eh? Well that is a nickname that I was jokingly given in middle school. And now it is a reality!

Ever seen one of these? If you have then you already understand the title of this post. This is a vial used for collecting stool samples...yeah...life has been that awesome the past few days!
Some of you remember the great seizure episode of March 07 with Olivia. Well, I guess Mason decided it was his turn to scare me to death. He had a seizure in the middle of the night on Saturday night. We understood more about febrile seizures going into this one thus we didn't call 911 this time but I still felt the exact same heart pounding anxiety. Let me assure you, the seizures that both of my kids have now tormented me with are due to high fevers and are "normal". Normal being the word used by one doctor in the very moment that I watched Olivia seizing in the ER and turning purple before my eyes. The actions of the staff told me otherwise...they all seemed as frantic as I was. Ultimately though she was OK and we haven't seen any more episodes from her since the 2 that day.
So we found the culprit of the 104 fever that brought on Mason's seizure...ear infection! He started a new antibiotic that he has never taken before and then the next morning he had a significant amount of blood in his diaper every time he pooped. I took him to the Dr. who didn't seem overly concerned. She less than assuringly (I don't think that's a word) assured me that it wasn't from his antibiotic and ordered some lab work. They sent me home with 3 vials as pictures above. Yep I was to scoop his poop and place it into the container. Collecting the samples proved to be more difficult than I expected. My awesome friend Kathleen had stopped by that morning and helped me get some stuff done. She was entertaining the kids in the other room while I collected the sample. She had to check on me a couple of times since she could hear the gagging. She even offered to do it for me! What an awesome friend. Of course I didn't feel like I should make her scoop my kid's poop so I pulled it together and got 'er done. So I took the samples in feeling a little strange about walking in with a bag full of poop. It felt like everyone in the waiting area was closely examining the bag and giving me looks of disgust. I don't think my perception was valid however. Come to find out the Dr. office had ordered the wrong tests and I ended up coming home with yet ANOTHER vial and having to scoop more poop! Anyhow after seizures, fevers, diarrhea, bloody diapers, and even puking Mason finally seems to be OK. But we won't get his "test results" for another 3-5 days. That just seems useless to me.




8 comments:
Sally, I'm so sorry about what happened to Mason. That is so scary when it happens to a little 1 year old. It's already scary when it happens to a 6 year old, let alone a 1 year old. I hope nothing is wrong with Mason, and that everything was just due to the fever or ear infection. You are in our prayers. I love you Sally!
Poor Mason. How scary and sad to watch him suffer and not be able to do anything for him. I am glad he is feeling better and will keephim in our prayers.
I hope that everything is okay with Mason. It is the scariest thing not knowing what is wrong. We will be praying for your family. Keep me posted. Love ya!!
aaagggghhh, poor baby and poor mommy. We hope Mason is feeling better. We love you! McKenna randomly started praying a couple of days ago for Mason, saying "please bless Mason to feel better." I figured it was left over from when he got sick at the reunion. Guess not, maybe she has E.S.P. :)
The joys of motherhood...scooping pooh! It is amazing what you can do when you have to. I really hope Mason is feeling better and that you get some helpful information from the test results.
Kudos to Olivia for going #1 and #2...it really is soooo nice when they are potty trained. I am going to have a wake-up call in a few weeks!!
I hope everything turns out okay - what a scary thing for you and him!! Sorry you had to scoop poop - hopefully you'll get your results soon!
I'm so happy to hear Mason seems to be feeling better. I tried calling to check on you yesterday, but voicemail never picked up at your house. Let me know if you guys need anything. Take care!
Funny how doctors mess up orders like that; it happened to us here in UT too! Same scenario, I scooped poop, only to be tested for the wrong thing and had to scoop again.
cooper has also already taken on that nickname as well.
Hope your little guy gets better.
Post a Comment