We had an awesome weekend with some visitors from Utah. Trent (a Washington Tacoma Mission friend) and Ashlie Schoonmaker visited us with their family and I want to blog about it so bad...but I must wait. I didn't actually take too many pictures because they have an awesome camera and took plenty of great pictures. I am waiting until I can get pics from them so I can blog about their visit with us.
In the meantime lets talk data backup!
A few weeks ago we had a tragedy occur with our external hard drive. Everything was gone! That shouldn't be a huge deal right? Everyone backs up these days right? Yeah well, while Darren and I consider ourselves pretty technically savy we were not prepared and did not have a back-up of our pictures. And off they went into nowhere. After forking out a pretty penny here are some of the pictures that the Geek Squad recovered for us. I've just been going through them tonight.
The middle picture seems to be one of only three pictures of Liv when she was a baby. Yeah, I've been cryin' a bit tonight. Right now I am taking a break from my second attempt to look through everything. As far as I can tell everything prior to having babies is gone, all the movies are gone, and then I have duplicates of a few specific folders. While I am still very frusterated about what I can't seem to find I am glad about what WAS recovered. I did find some of my favorites. The biggest casualty so far is the video of Mason's first steps.
The moral of the story is back up your pictures! NOW!
I should mention that one of the things that is keeping me somewhat sane is the fact that I started blogging when Olivia was born therefore I have some of her pictures backed up through blogger. THANK HEAVEN!
Update: All of the movie files are officially gone. :(







9 comments:
Oh Sally, I'm so sorry. That really bites!! I'm glad you were able to recover what you were. Anyway of knowing what may have caused them all to be deleted?
Sally! Thats so sad! I am so sorry. I was bugging Jas to get me a hard drive the last couple months and we finally got it a couple weeks ago. The same thing happened to my sis. I hope theres a way to find some more. good luck! t
I can't get over that you lost so many pictures! That is terrible! I better get on it RIGHT away... As for the last post, you ARE VERY crafty and I think we can put you in the same category as Martha... LOVE YOU!
I have most of my pics on CD...I will look and see if I have any good ones of Livi as a baby. What are you guys using to back up your files. I know nothing about this kind of stuff.
Dave and I keep talking about getting an external hard drive but something else always comes along to spend a little $$$. So I am so sorry you lost your pictures... it is so sad :(
I am so sorry Sally. I lost Isabelle's 1st birthday pictures and I was so sick about it until we were fortunate enough to recover them, so I can only imagine how upset you must be. Hopefully friends & family can send you pics that they have. I might even have a few... I'll look and send them if I find any.
That makes my stomach hurt thinking about lost pictures. So sorry. I'm terrible at backing-up pictures too, I will be working on that right now.
I am so sorry. Thank you for sharig. I backed up all my pictures last night.
This hits home for me. We had our hard drive totally crash. I lost about 3 years worth of pictures. :( We still haven't had anyone try to help us retrieve them off of it because of the cost. Was the Geek Squad expensive, I hadn't thought about them. I used to cry over it, and am still sad, but getting used to the fact they are all gone for now.
Post a Comment