April 20, 2009

So about that pizza...

 
Here's the thing.  Do I have a recipe?  Not really!  Not for the whole thing.  But here is my crack at it.  Some of the directions are a little vague but you'll figure it out! 

BREAD MACHINE PIZZA DOUGH
1 cup water
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour (I just use regular old flour)
2 tsp sugar (I add more...Darren likes it a little sweet)
2 tsp highly active dry yeast
2 tsp dried Italian herbs (optional)

PESTO CHICKEN TOPPINGS
2 chicken breasts
1 jar pesto sauce
1 bag mozzarella cheese or more...
10 or more cherry tomatoes

DIRECTIONS
1.  Add ingredients to the bread machine pan in order listed, set machine on "dough", and walk away.
2.  In the meantime grill 2 breasts of chicken basted heavily in pesto sauce.
3.  Slice thin strips of chicken and toss with a generous amount of additional pesto sauce.  No measurements here...sorry.
4.  Slice cherry tomatoes and let them sit in a sprinkle of salt and a couple of spoonfuls of balsamic vinegar...delicious!
5.  Preheat grill to medium-low heat...closer to the low side in order to thoroughly cook the dough to a cracker crust crisp and still have the time to melt the toppings.
6.  After the dough cycle has finished coat the dough lightly with flour and roll out to desired size and thickness.  1  batch will make 2 large sized thin crust pizzas.  I am no thin crust girl but with this pizza the thinner the better.  I split my dough in half and make a cheese pizza for the kids or something.
7.  Put the pizza dough on the grill and THEN add toppings immediately.  Chicken first, then lots of mozzarella cheese, and finally plenty of tomatoes.  
8.  After a few minutes move the pizza to an unheated pizza stone and place it back on the grill.  Close cover and turn up the heat a little.  You need to get that cheese melted before the crust burns.  Keep a spatula handy to check the crust frequently.  You may also need to rotate the stone occasionally to keep the crust evenly cooked.
8a.  You could also just prepare the pizza on the stone in the first place and skip ever cooking it directly on the grill.  I found that I definitely had to rotate the stone a lot as some areas were staying doughy and others getting crisp but it worked too.
9.  Eat and enjoy!  Seriously it is delicious!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

A. Schoonie said...

we ruined a pizza stone that we received for a gift lots of years ago, but maybe we will have to purchase another one to try out this pizza. it looks very yummy!

Sally said...

Ash, you could just cook the pizza on the grill without a stone at all. If the bottom was finished and the cheese not yet melted you could plop it in the oven on a pan to broil the top. I actually like the taste of the crust the best when it has been cooked directly on the grill.

Kimber said...

Sally, that looks soo good and now I am hungry. But I don't know if I could make this. I am not exactly the best cook. I know, maybe I'll just come to your house for some! JK Love ya!

Bullock said...

Yum-o, I have to make that. I have to say that I didn't know you could make a pizza on the BBQ grill. You learn something new every day.

And yes I remember that awesome cellist guy on new years eve. That seems like so long ago- oh maybe because it was!!

Sheryl

Jen said...

Sally, this is Jen Wilkey from SUU and Tacoma mission! HI! I had to post because we make pizza on the grill regularly. I do it differently, though and I'm going to try yours, let me share the way I learned. I use a regular yeast dough that has risen. Then, after rolling I put the dough on the grill on Medium high, cook for about 5 minutes then flip the pizza over to the other side of the grill on low. I then put the toppings on the grilled side and let the other side cook while the toppings melt. The dough is crisp and cooked through this way and it is super fast.
Now I'm hungry. that chicken pesto sounds yummy!
hugs