July 19, 2009

Let Freedom Ring!


What makes a great parade?  Big huge floats made of flowers, fountains, and famous people?  Ferris Beuller re-enactments?  Marching bands?
Well, sure those are all good things but lets face it!  All you really need are some pretty darn cute kids and some flying candy! 


 
Hey we don't even need that much flying candy!  Just one lollipop and the rest are forgotten!

 
Or how about a bracelet?  For a princess that makes a super parade!

 
In Panguitch you really just need to dress up your nicest bike, ATV, tractor, or mini-Jeep!  
Now don't misunderstand...Panguitch knows how to do a pretty awesome parade but they save that all for the 24th of July.  If you find yourself wondering..."24th of July?  Eh?"  It is a celebration of the Mormon Pioneers who crossed the plains over the course of many years and entered the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.  To me the 24th of July, Pioneer Day, symbolizes more than just the founding of a state but great sacrifices made by our ancestors in order to have the freedom of religion that we needed. 
The 4th parade is all about the little kids.  It might not seem so impressive to a grown up but my memories of it are huge.  I remember the great preparations my mom would go to...washing and decorating bikes, getting fancy hairdos, and festive clothes.  One year my cousin and I walked down main street dressed up as clowns.  It was so much fun. 

Ultimately a parade needs a big finale right.  Everything needs a big finale.  So you're wondering...Ok...and what's with the dog.  Well right at the end, just as we're about to leave, my mom notices that our dog has decided to come downtown to join in the parade as she trots along with the horses.  Awe!  Poor little puppy thinks she's a horse!  Addie had disappeared after the cannons went off that morning.  Little did we know she was part of the grand finale!  Silly Addie!
Oh that reminds me of a conversation Mason and I had while we were in Panguitch.
Me:  Mason do you miss Daddy?
Mason:  Nope I see him lamoewoe (tomorrow, everything starts with an L for some reason)
Me: No, we won't because he is in Arizona.
Mason:  lep, I saw him barking loday (today).
Olivia: Sorry mom but that's a true.
Me:  Mason Daddy is home in arizona!
Mason: But Addie is a goggie at grandma's house and he like me!
(hmm it seems we had a misunderstanding...Addie...Daddy)  Sorry Darren maybe when Mason is older he'll miss you more...at least enough that he'll recognize your name! :)

2 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, all the outfits are fabulous! That dog is hilarious, I love it! I found your blog via a link to your tissue paper flower pots on Everyday Celebrating. What a great take on these pom flowers, so creative! I'd love to link to them if you didn't mind.

mjs ashworth said...

Oh my gosh, you kids are so cute in their 4th Of July outfits!!

I love Olivia's shirt! Looks like you had a fun time. Lets get together and let the crazy kids play...